Life Skills qualifications have been designed to help develop the skills used in everyday life, for example: reading, writing and maths. These qualifications will boost a student’s CV – and can also help the progression on to further study. IMI Life Skills offer to support personal development and prepare students for the working environment.
Functional Skills (England only) are practical skills in English, ICT and maths; enabling students to work confidently, effectively and independently. Functional Skills form part of the Apprenticeship framework in England.
Essential Skills Wales (ESW) consists of Communication, Application of Number and ICT and forms part of the Apprenticeship framework for Wales.
Core Skills (Scotland) cover the skills used in jobs and industry and include: Communication (reading, writing and speaking); Numeracy (using numbers in measurement and graphical format); Information and Communication Technology (ICT). Core Skills are a part of modern Apprenticeships.
Who are they suitable for?
- Those undertaking an Apprenticeship with a skills requirement.
- Those studying vocational qualifications who wish to gain life skills to enhance their learning.
How do you get one?
- Full or part-time basis at an IMI approved centre.
- By additional training, if necessary, and online assessment.
- Typically the required level is completed in an academic year.