Who is it suitable for?
This Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ) is primarily designed to engage and motivate aged 14 to 19 year olds who are interested in learning about the maintenance of light vehicles, the various roles that are available in the retail motor industry, and would therefore like a qualification that will support their progress into the retail motor vehicle industry.
There are no formal entry requirements for this qualification. However selection criteria for entry should take into account each applicant's existing academic/vocational qualifications, experience, and interest in working in the industry sectors.
This qualification has a predominately practical approach to assessment, and includes many visual questioning techniques, which will stimulate and interest the learner.
The qualification’s combination of units provides learners with the flexibility in the choice of the areas they wish to develop their knowledge and skills in.
All learners will develop their knowledge and skills in:
- health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
Learners have the opportunity develop their knowledge and skills in a wide variety of areas, and also the option to achieve Level 2 units, which will support the learner’s progression to an IMI Level 2 Certificate (VRQ) in the appropriate career route. Examples of some of the unit options available follow:
- introduction to the retail automotive maintenance and repair industry
- spark ignition engine systems, components and operation
- compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
- steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- vehicle braking systems components and maintenance
- vehicle wheels and tyres construction and maintenance
- vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance
- introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
- vehicle electrical foundation skills
- basic vehicle valeting
- light vehicle construction
- removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- inspection, repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres
This Certificate is ideal for those learners who wish to undertake a qualification which will support their progress into the retail motor vehicle industry and to a Level 2 Vocationally Related Qualification (VRQ). It can also supplement their progress to GCSEs and other appropriate destinations, such as the Institute of the Motor Industry Sector Skills Council (IMI SSC) Intermediate Apprenticeship at Level 2, or employment.
The assessments for this qualification have a practical focus and combine various assessment styles/methodologies in order to suit the subject and levels of units contained within it.
Want to know more?
Please contact an IMI approved centre.
View this qualification on the Register of Regulated Qualifications